Trump Says Plane Downing Will Not Affect Iran Negotiation Efforts

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that a recent incident involving the downing of an aircraft would not derail ongoing diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran, signaling his administration's determination to pursue negotiations with Iran despite escalating tensions between the two countries.
Trump, speaking to reporters, dismissed suggestions that the plane incident — which has drawn sharp condemnation from Iranian officials — would halt talks that his administration has framed as a potential pathway to a new nuclear agreement. "We're still talking," Trump said, adding that he believed a deal with Iran remained achievable.
The remarks came as both governments acknowledged that backchannel communications have been underway in recent weeks, with Oman serving as a key intermediary — a role the Gulf sultanate has historically played in facilitating sensitive US-Iran contacts. The revelation that the United States is simultaneously engaged in diplomacy with Tehran while tensions mount over the aircraft incident has drawn scrutiny from lawmakers and foreign policy analysts on both sides of the Atlantic.
Iranian officials have not publicly confirmed the scope of the talks, though senior figures in Tehran have signaled openness to dialogue on the condition that Washington ease its maximum pressure sanctions campaign. The Biden-era nuclear framework collapsed in 2022, leaving both sides without a diplomatic architecture to manage their disputes.
For Gulf states, including Qatar, the trajectory of US-Iran relations carries direct strategic significance. Doha maintains one of the most complex relationships with Tehran in the region — sharing the world's largest natural gas field, the North Field, while also hosting the forward headquarters of US Central Command at Al Udeid Air Base. Any military escalation between Washington and Tehran would place Qatar in a deeply uncomfortable position between its security guarantor and its key energy partner.
Qatari officials have consistently advocated for dialogue over confrontation in the Gulf region and have previously offered their own good offices to facilitate communication between rival parties. Doha's foreign policy apparatus will be watching closely as the situation develops.
Analysts note that Trump's public insistence on keeping negotiations alive, even amid the plane downing incident, reflects a broader pattern in his approach to Iran — one that combines economic pressure with selective openness to deal-making. Whether that posture can survive further escalation remains the central question facing diplomats across the region.
النسخة العربية
عاجل | ترامب يؤكد على استمرار محادثات مع إيران رغم إسقاط الطائرة
أكد الرئيس الأمريكي دونالد ترامب يوم الأربعاء أن حادثة إسقاط الطائرة الأخيرة لن تُعيق المساعي الدبلوماسية الجارية بين واشنطن وطهران، في إشارة إلى عزم إدارته على مواصلة المفاوضات مع إيران على الرغم من التصعيد المتزايد بين البلدين.
وصرّح ترامب للصحفيين بأن الحادثة التي أثارت موجة واسعة من الانتقادات في أوساط المسؤولين الإيرانيين لن تُوقف المحادثات التي تصفها إدارته بوصفها مساراً محتملاً نحو اتفاقية نووية جديدة، قائلاً: "لا يزال الحوار قائماً"، ومؤكداً إمكانية التوصل إلى اتفاق مع إيران.
جاءت هذه التصريحات في خضم إقرار الحكومتين بوجود اتصالات غير رسمية جرت خلال الأسابيع الماضية، مع اضطلاع سلطنة عُمان بدور محوري في الوساطة، وهو دور اضطلعت به تاريخياً في تيسير الاتصالات الحساسة بين واشنطن وطهران. وقد أثار الكشف عن هذه المحادثات في الوقت الذي تشتعل فيه التوترات بسبب حادثة الطائرة موجةً من التدقيق في أوساط المشرعين والمحللين على جانبي الأطلسي.
Source tweet
🚨 BREAKING | US admits being at war with Iran despite seeking talks. Tension escalates amid plane downing incident. #IranUS #BreakingNews





